Click here to win prizes by solving the mscroggs.co.uk puzzle Advent calendar.
Click here to win prizes by solving the mscroggs.co.uk puzzle Advent calendar.

Blog

2018-12-08

Christmas card 2018

Showing all comments about the post Christmas card 2018. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2018-12-17
@Carmel: It's not meant to check your answers. It only shows up red if the number you enter cannot be split into valid pairs (eg the number has an odd number of digits or one of the pairs of digits is greater than 20).
Matthew
 2018-12-16
The script for checking the answers doesn't work properly
Carmel
 2018-12-14
Thank you Shawn!
SueM
 2018-12-14
So satisfying!
Heather
 2018-12-10
Great puzzle problems! Hint on #9: try starting with an analogous problem using smaller numbers (e.g. 3a + 10b). This helped me to see what I had to do more generally.
Noah
 2018-12-10
@Seth: try solving it for 3a+4b, 3a+5b, 4a+5b, etc and look for patterns
Matthew
 2018-12-09
Loved these puzzles! I have no idea how to approach #9, though. Will the solutions be posted at any point? Or, can anyone provide a hint to how to approach it?
Seth
 2018-12-09
Blaine said I'd like the puzzle, and he was right, too.
Margaret G
 2018-12-09
Great puzzles. Especially enjoyed #9. Thanks for the entertainment!
John
 2018-12-09
Think I got it! A sure sign of spring. number 9 was a struggle.
Mike
 2018-12-09
Someone told me I would like this puzzle and they were right!
Blaine

I will only use your email address to reply to your comment (if a reply is needed).

Allowed HTML tags: <br> <a> <small> <b> <i> <s> <sup> <sub> <u> <spoiler> <ul> <ol> <li>
To prove you are not a spam bot, please type "l" then "i" then "n" then "e" then "a" then "r" in the box below (case sensitive):

Archive

Show me a random blog post
 2019

Dec 2019

Christmas card 2019

Nov 2019

Christmas (2019) is coming!

Sep 2019

▼ show ▼
 2013
▼ show ▼
 2012
▼ show ▼

Tags

raspberry pi chess approximation weather station map projections propositional calculus advent calendar noughts and crosses puzzles folding paper sport gerry anderson people maths data games machine learning christmas card logic inline code golden ratio light chalkdust magazine binary arithmetic craft go books asteroids talking maths in public rugby reddit pythagoras sound statistics trigonometry coins countdown game of life mathslogicbot manchester national lottery big internet math-off world cup cross stitch a gamut of games royal baby nine men's morris pac-man twitter stickers rhombicuboctahedron dataset game show probability hats ternary martin gardner bodmas interpolation final fantasy frobel pizza cutting graph theory latex folding tube maps triangles php video games fractals plastic ratio polynomials probability platonic solids python flexagons misleading statistics draughts menace geometry realhats golden spiral christmas electromagnetic field estimation matt parker mathsjam sorting london error bars the aperiodical news accuracy speed bubble bobble wool harriss spiral programming tmip football palindromes dates braiding mathsteroids tennis dragon curves curvature london underground radio 4 chebyshev european cup oeis captain scarlet cambridge hexapawn reuleaux polygons javascript manchester science festival

Archive