Click here to win prizes by solving the mscroggs.co.uk puzzle Advent calendar.
Click here to win prizes by solving the mscroggs.co.uk puzzle Advent calendar.

Blog

2017-12-18

Christmas card 2017

Showing all comments about the post Christmas card 2017. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2019-01-04
@Jose: There is a mistake in your answer: 243 (0100000) is the number of numbers between 10,000 and 100,000 that do not contain the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.
Matthew
 2019-01-04
Thanks for the puzzle!
Is it possible that the question 9 is no correct?
I get a penguin with perfect simetrie except at answer 9 : 0100000 that breaks the simetry.
Is it correct or a mistake in my answer?
Thx
Jose
 2018-01-01
@C: look up something called Frobenius numbers. This problem's equivalent to finding the Frobenius number for 14 and 29.
Lewis
 2017-12-28
I can solve #2 with code, but is there a tidy maths way to solve it directly?
C
 2017-12-23
My efforts were flightless.
NHH
 2017-12-20
What a fun diversion! I have to admit I can't remember how to solve #2 - I finally had to write some code. (So primitive.)
Heather
 2017-12-19
@Matthew: Thank you for the clarification!

I don't want to spoil the answer for anyone, but my Christmassy picture looks like a well dressed bird.
Claudio
 2017-12-19
@Claudio: The page number at the end of the book is 116.
Matthew
 2017-12-19
Is that a book with 116 2 sided sheets, or is the page number at the end of the book 116?
Claudio
 2017-12-19
@HH: Nope, I mean questions 6, 7 and 8. The question refers to itself.
Matthew
 2017-12-19
For question 8, don't you mean "questions 6 and 7"?
HH

I will only use your email address to reply to your comment (if a reply is needed).

Allowed HTML tags: <br> <a> <small> <b> <i> <s> <sup> <sub> <u> <spoiler> <ul> <ol> <li>
To prove you are not a spam bot, please type "g" then "r" then "a" then "p" then "h" in the box below (case sensitive):

Archive

Show me a random blog post
 2019

Dec 2019

Christmas card 2019

Nov 2019

Christmas (2019) is coming!

Sep 2019

▼ show ▼
 2013
▼ show ▼
 2012
▼ show ▼

Tags

advent calendar european cup interpolation hats manchester mathslogicbot pac-man video games dragon curves golden ratio pizza cutting bodmas php statistics folding tube maps menace sorting realhats wool polynomials chess hexapawn propositional calculus graph theory royal baby london underground logic talking maths in public estimation go countdown platonic solids folding paper tmip books trigonometry martin gardner javascript stickers electromagnetic field mathsteroids mathsjam coins news chebyshev frobel radio 4 geometry raspberry pi gerry anderson data probability arithmetic a gamut of games palindromes dataset christmas card game show probability tennis harriss spiral nine men's morris manchester science festival cambridge weather station misleading statistics twitter big internet math-off puzzles flexagons rhombicuboctahedron accuracy dates craft london binary approximation reuleaux polygons bubble bobble rugby latex sport football inline code ternary game of life error bars light draughts oeis national lottery reddit asteroids golden spiral fractals sound machine learning braiding christmas noughts and crosses matt parker plastic ratio world cup map projections cross stitch speed programming final fantasy chalkdust magazine triangles games captain scarlet pythagoras curvature people maths the aperiodical python

Archive