Click here to win prizes by solving the mscroggs.co.uk puzzle Advent calendar.
Click here to win prizes by solving the mscroggs.co.uk puzzle Advent calendar.

Blog

2017-12-18

Christmas card 2017

Showing all comments about the post Christmas card 2017. To return to the blog post, click here.

Comments

Comments in green were written by me. Comments in blue were not written by me.
 2019-01-04
@Jose: There is a mistake in your answer: 243 (0100000) is the number of numbers between 10,000 and 100,000 that do not contain the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.
Matthew
 2019-01-04
Thanks for the puzzle!
Is it possible that the question 9 is no correct?
I get a penguin with perfect simetrie except at answer 9 : 0100000 that breaks the simetry.
Is it correct or a mistake in my answer?
Thx
Jose
 2018-01-01
@C: look up something called Frobenius numbers. This problem's equivalent to finding the Frobenius number for 14 and 29.
Lewis
 2017-12-28
I can solve #2 with code, but is there a tidy maths way to solve it directly?
C
 2017-12-23
My efforts were flightless.
NHH
 2017-12-20
What a fun diversion! I have to admit I can't remember how to solve #2 - I finally had to write some code. (So primitive.)
Heather
 2017-12-19
@Matthew: Thank you for the clarification!

I don't want to spoil the answer for anyone, but my Christmassy picture looks like a well dressed bird.
Claudio
 2017-12-19
@Claudio: The page number at the end of the book is 116.
Matthew
 2017-12-19
Is that a book with 116 2 sided sheets, or is the page number at the end of the book 116?
Claudio
 2017-12-19
@HH: Nope, I mean questions 6, 7 and 8. The question refers to itself.
Matthew
 2017-12-19
For question 8, don't you mean "questions 6 and 7"?
HH

I will only use your email address to reply to your comment (if a reply is needed).

Allowed HTML tags: <br> <a> <small> <b> <i> <s> <sup> <sub> <u> <spoiler> <ul> <ol> <li>
To prove you are not a spam bot, please type "sixa-x" backwards in the box below (case sensitive):

Archive

Show me a random blog post
 2019

Dec 2019

Christmas card 2019

Nov 2019

Christmas (2019) is coming!

Sep 2019

▼ show ▼
 2013
▼ show ▼
 2012
▼ show ▼

Tags

nine men's morris golden ratio raspberry pi game show probability cross stitch hats pizza cutting statistics european cup dragon curves twitter php bubble bobble javascript the aperiodical asteroids sorting manchester science festival misleading statistics cambridge news football plastic ratio propositional calculus big internet math-off tmip arithmetic accuracy fractals electromagnetic field rugby final fantasy books probability mathslogicbot flexagons platonic solids frobel royal baby coins world cup chess triangles martin gardner interpolation speed ternary dataset tennis game of life advent calendar sport dates noughts and crosses people maths wool chebyshev braiding hexapawn mathsjam harriss spiral latex london underground estimation countdown pac-man approximation radio 4 palindromes manchester national lottery go captain scarlet light stickers talking maths in public logic reuleaux polygons machine learning london games pythagoras error bars menace geometry python polynomials trigonometry sound binary bodmas chalkdust magazine craft video games mathsteroids curvature christmas card folding paper a gamut of games puzzles programming map projections rhombicuboctahedron inline code oeis weather station realhats graph theory gerry anderson data christmas golden spiral folding tube maps draughts reddit matt parker

Archive